Cylinder block coolant drain tap. New Post

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..
steviet
Great Britain

Cylinder block coolant drain tap. New Post

Post by steviet » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:18 pm

All,

Just started here so getting the hang of things. I'm doing some work on my first tractor, a Ferguson 35x. I've seen the other recent posts about this coolant tap, but I have a slightly different issue.
After managing to unscrew the coolant tap in the cylinder block, it will not go back and looks misshapen and some of the threads look stripped. Looking at the other posts on this forum about the right size threads for this, I thought it should be a straightforward replacement.....Until I looked closely and wiped the oil and dirt away and realised that I do not seem to have an outer nut to unscrew to allow me to remove the whole assembly, as I've seen in other photos of this tap.
cylinder block drain tapsm.jpg
cylinder block drain tapsm.jpg (82.57 KiB) Viewed 126 times
It looks as though there might be the remains of an outer brass thread if you look closely but maybe the top nut has sheared off at some point in the past. I cannot get the inner part of this tap out, so I'm hoping more experienced people on here will understand what I'm looking at and can suggest what to do?
Thanks.
Steve

Grunt
England

Re: Cylinder block coolant drain tap. New Post

Post by Grunt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:45 am

My guess is that you are spot on when you say the outer nut has sheared off. If you clean the whole area up with solvent and a wire brush things might be a little clearer, It should still work ok as a tap though. All you have to remember is that it’s a left hand thread and the taper seat is on the inside. You still turn the ‘wings’ the same way as an ordinary tap to open it, anti clockwise to open clockwise to close.

Hiawatha
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 am

I'm not that familiar with the 35X but I do wonder if that is the correct tap . It does look suspiciously like the drain tap from a radiator rather than the tapered type ' Gas cock ' that is more often seen on TE and MF petrol engines .
In any case the drain cocks I have seen all screw directly into the block with no outer bushing of any sort .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe

Hiawatha
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:24 am

This tap is listed as suitable for the 35X 3A Perkins engine ,

https://old20tractorparts.com/ferguson- ... 53600.html

steviet
Great Britain

Post by steviet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. My issue is not which tap to replace it with, as there are several types which should be ok, but as the inner thread is now damaged/stripped, it will not screw home into what remains of the outer bush. Also, there is not enough of the outer bush to get a grip with anything to unscrew that from the block. If I cut off the inner tap screw as close to the bush as possible to try and drill out the outer bush then the end of the tap inside the block is going to fall into the block. I might see if I can get a grip of it with a bolt extractor to get the outer bush free.
Thanks.

Grunt
England

Post by Grunt » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:00 am

Don’t want to sound like I’m going on about it, but are you trying to screw it the correct way for a left hand thread. i.e. anti clockwise to screw it in. Also is it in the closed or open position now, is there coolant in the block at the moment?

If the tap body is so tight that the hex has sheared off trying to remove it then it’s going to be difficult to remove it without getting some debris in the block. Hopefully the debris will only be small and you will be able to flush it out.

There is a pic on here somewhere of the whole valve which should give you an idea what the back end of it looks like.

Hiawatha
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:38 am

Brass to cast iron should not bind particularly well . In similar circumstances I've cut off the valve and hammered a square shaft flat bladed screwdriver into the remains , after which a shifter and a few holy words usually gets the stub out .

steviet
Great Britain

Post by steviet » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Thanks Grunt, but the inside thread does not bind with the outer bush turning either way now, the thread is so damaged.
Hiawatha, that sounds very tempting, and I think I will have go at that method this weekend!