TEA 20 Exhaust modification.

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..
arbe
Reactions:
England

TEA 20 Exhaust modification.

Post by arbe » Thu May 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Whilst using my sons TEA 20 I noticed i was getting serious exhaust fumes from the vertical exhaust. So contacting Agriline as they make a conversion kit for this purpose. However after receiving it I am completely lost as to where the bracket that holds the exhaust should be fitted. Has anyone else used this kit and how did they get on. I have of course sent a message to Agriline in the hope they can shed some light on the problem.

I hope you have a pleasant Journey through Life

C@sp@r
Reactions:
Norway

Re: TEA 20 Exhaust modification.

Post by C@sp@r » Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 am

Hi,
If I recall correctly, the most lower bolt of the right transmission inspection cover is used.
1953 TEA 20

Hiawatha
Reactions:
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Fri May 22, 2020 7:25 am

You do recall correctly Casper :smile:

An adaptation that is very useful is an extra attachment point at the bell housing . An underslung exhaust can hit rocks , stumps and such and consequently break the exhaust manifold flange . A simple U bolt fastened to the nearest bolt adjacent to the down sweep of the pipe by a bracket will stop this from happening .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe

arbe
Reactions:
England

Post by arbe » Fri May 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Thanks for all your input we in fact found that the bracket placed at the very far end of the exhaust would attach to the rear trumpet housing, which enable us to use the foot plates as well. However I agree with Hiawatha that an extra clamp around the front of the exhaust would make the whole assembly much more rigid in cas of hitting a clump or object. There was a tape type binding that my Dad used on his Triumph to stop me burning my leg. If this is still available it would stop the exhaust from catching any hay etc a light. :thumbsup:
I hope you have a pleasant Journey through Life

Hiawatha
Reactions:
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 pm

The ' Tape ' would most likely have been asbestos , it was able to be woven in a number of ways , some resulted in a shiny supple cloth like tape used for steam pipes and heat shielding.
A metal heat shield is probably what you need . I will post a photo of one I made when I can .

Hiawatha
Reactions:
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Sat May 23, 2020 12:33 am

I made this shield from a stainless steel heater flue and a few plumbing stand off brackets . It shields my foot and leg from the worst of the radiated heat from the pipe . It also shows the bracket attaching the down sweep to the bell housing . I have footplates fitted above this .
horizontal exhaust with shield.JPG
horizontal exhaust with shield.JPG (231.04 KiB) Viewed 35 times
There was a factory shield made by Ferguson themselves , this was a metal , asbestos sandwich fitted to the underside of the right hand side footplate .
foot rest with asbestos heat shield for exhaust.JPG
foot rest with asbestos heat shield for exhaust.JPG (114.15 KiB) Viewed 35 times