Alternator

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Alternator

Postby Chris43 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi just a quick question I've been told I can fit a car alternator to my te tractor instead of a dynamo as I have lights on mine and been told that it will not charge my battery
Chris43

Re: Alternator

Postby Steveolew » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 pm

You will have no problem charging a battery with an alternator in fact unless you are going to do something fancy like use capacitors you will need one to start the charging process. Most dynamos I see fitted on fergusons are 11Amp, the alternator I have (got to make a bracket) is 65Amp that was used on Mini's and things of that era.
Steveolew

Postby Hiawatha » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 pm

How many lights are fitted and how often will they be used ?
If it is a matter of some butler lights on the wings and headlights used in the evenings then there is no need for an alternator , the dynamo , if a 12 volt model in good order should be more than adequate .
Rotating amber warning lights drain huge amounts of power however , if you have an old one of these fitted consider replacing it with a modern LED unit , these drain as little current as a torch .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby Bundy Bear » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 pm

I would try and stay with a generator, they are cheap to purchase, do the job in most cases (well they have for 60 years). If you did still want an alternator you just need to run the field winding through a dash light and with a bit of aa rev up it will excite the alternator for you.
The only time a genny might not cut the mustard is if you idled the tractor a lot with lights on, the alternator charges with higher amps at lower revs once excited.
1948 TEA, TED, TEF, 1957 FE35 Petrol, JD420 Hi Crop, JD MC Crawler, JD2030, Farmall AMD7, Farmall 100 x 2, Ford 3550 loader,
Bundy Bear

Return to Restoration questions and answers