Fergie parts needed

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Fergie parts needed

Postby john » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Can anyone help please, I have recently acquired a TED 20 TVO and would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction for the following.

Fuel cap seals, I have found what look like "o" ring versions but would prefer the original type, cork or something !?

I need one stud that bolts the hitch plate too the rear axle.

Also for the trailer hitch there was advertised ( now out of stock ) a bolt on plate that stops a trailer ring hitch from jumping off the hook.

While I have your expert attention ! the chap I bought the tractor from said to mix 20 litres of kero with 5 litres of unleaded petrol, it runs fine on this mix but I would value your opinion.

One more ! if I'm only just moving the tractor and not really getting it hot enough to use the TVO mix or on a short run is it detrimental to the engine to leave it on just petrol ?

Thank you in anticipation

John
john

Re: Fergie parts needed

Postby whitehillbillies » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:51 pm

I had a 2 inch, from memory, spare one for my Greeves, so fitted it.
Google cork fuel cap seal.
Stud, try local auto parts store. Look at the exhaust studs.
Plate, I made one.
Not sure of TVO mix. I run my TED20 on straight 98 unleaded, so short run will be ok.

Whb
Attachments
Trailer Hitch 1a.jpg
Trailer Hitch 1a.jpg (104.51 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Bulbous end hook.gif
Bulbous end hook.gif (16.35 KiB) Viewed 447 times
whitehillbillies

Postby Hiawatha » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Try cutting your own fuel tank seal John , easy to do , use Nitrile /cork sheet available from any Auto parts shop . It will work as fuel tap gasket as well so is very handy to have around .
Any machine shop or small jobbing engineer will knock up a stud for you , buy a UNF bolt and cut the head off , have the shop thread the other end to UNC . I cut mu own now , a UNF/UNC die cost $15 each on E bay , they are really handy for this sort of work or just cleaning up an existing bolt .
There are a few different hold down plates made for Auto hitches , they changed in design from one to the other . The most involved is the early one as seen in WHB's photo , later ones are much simpler and very easy to make yourself .
If the engine is not stinking hot don't use TVO .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby Grunt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 pm

If Norfolk is the same as East Yorkshire then the bloke behind the counter at an auto store will look at you daft if you ask for cork sheet. They generally only sell bling over here. eBay, which will be expensive, or a gasket manufacturer if your anywhere near a big town will be a better bet. For a few quid you’ll have enough cork to line your bathroom if your that way inclined.

Not sure whereabouts in Norfolk you are but the likes of old 20 or agriline will have the studs and the plates. There used to be a couple of breakers round your way but it’s that long since I needed anything I can’t remember their names. I seem to remember one was in the happisburgh area. Chgperformance on this forum who has been noticeable by his absence and is in Norfolk had a few spares for sale a while back, maybe if you PM’d him he might be able to help.
Grunt

Postby Grunt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Just a point on the hitch plate stud. If it’s the stud that fits under the transmission housing, don’t be tempted to use a bolt. And if you do use a bolt, or stud for that matter, make sure it doesn’t bottom out in it’s hole. There was a photo on here a bit back where someone had tightened the stud or bolt up to a point where the casting broke and left a neat lump of casting swimming round in the transmission housing.
Grunt

Postby john » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:19 am

Hiawatha wrote:Try cutting your own fuel tank seal John , easy to do , use Nitrile /cork sheet available from any Auto parts shop . It will work as fuel tap gasket as well so is very handy to have around .
Any machine shop or small jobbing engineer will knock up a stud for you , buy a UNF bolt and cut the head off , have the shop thread the other end to UNC . I cut mu own now , a UNF/UNC die cost $15 each on E bay , they are really handy for this sort of work or just cleaning up an existing bolt .
There are a few different hold down plates made for Auto hitches , they changed in design from one to the other . The most involved is the early one as seen in WHB's photo , later ones are much simpler and very easy to make yourself .
If the engine is not stinking hot don't use TVO .

Thanks for the info, that's the problem over here "jobbing engineers" and good old fashioned part shops have all died out !
I'll ask the farmer next door he might even have some cork sheet in one of his 10 sheds !
john

Postby john » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 am

Grunt wrote:If Norfolk is the same as East Yorkshire then the bloke behind the counter at an auto store will look at you daft if you ask for cork sheet. They generally only sell bling over here. eBay, which will be expensive, or a gasket manufacturer if your anywhere near a big town will be a better bet. For a few quid you’ll have enough cork to line your bathroom if your that way inclined.

Not sure whereabouts in Norfolk you are but the likes of old 20 or agriline will have the studs and the plates. There used to be a couple of breakers round your way but it’s that long since I needed anything I can’t remember their names. I seem to remember one was in the happisburgh area. Chgperformance on this forum who has been noticeable by his absence and is in Norfolk had a few spares for sale a while back, maybe if you PM’d him he might be able to help.

Hey op Grunt ! got your location straight off I'm half Yorkshire !
Just had the bathroom tiled thanks, but I could have a cork floor !
I know all to well that look you get from the bloke behind the counter ! cork sheet ? what's that mate ?
anyway I'll keep looking, thanks.
John
john

Postby Hiawatha » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 am

john wrote: cork sheet ? what's that mate ?

Try a bearing supplier , they seem to have ' old stuff ' stashed away .
I thought that we were in a bad way losing many small engineering shops , it seems that it is a disease spread worldwide .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Return to Restoration questions and answers