Air cleaner modification

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Air cleaner modification

Postby Olsen » Sun May 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Please do not kill me for this question but I wonder if I can change the oil filled air cleaner for a cleaner of todays standards like they are used for motorbikes for example.Much easier to handle and perhaps even better performance ?
Proud owner of a Ferguson TED :bearded:
Olsen

Re: Air cleaner modification

Postby Grunt » Mon May 28, 2018 12:25 am

Go for it. Untill a realisticly priced original filter comes up for my TEA I’ve fitted a K&N filter, because I had one that fitted, and the genuine thing will come up eventually. Whether I’m still around when it does turn up who knows. Had you said you were doing something irreversible to it like cutting the axles in half and welding Moggy Thou half shafts in, or heaven forbid, retapping threads to metric, then though I wouldn’t have commented I would have disapproved, but it’s your tractor you do as you please.
Grunt

Postby Moose » Mon May 28, 2018 12:44 pm

I am of the "if it is not broken, why fix it" crowd. :smile: A bike that might hit 10,000 RPM needs a more efficient air filter, but a Fergie at 2000 RPM is less demanding. I am not sure that it would improve performance. But, as Grunt says, "it's your tractor". :smile:

I would rather stock some spare oil than more replacement/disposable filters.
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Postby whitehillbillies » Mon May 28, 2018 8:53 pm

My Greeves has original oil soaked filter, Landy has an original oil bath filter, as my 54 TED.
go modern, not me. Whats the fun in that !!!!
Maybe Olsen wants to go 'Tractor Racing'

whb
whitehillbillies

Postby Grunt » Tue May 29, 2018 11:46 am

I don’t know that I could cope with more power on my TEF, but then it is a diesel with far more power than the slower inferior petrol engines. Im going to have to wait a while for Hiawatha to get back on that one.
Grunt

Postby Olsen » Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Well some say the bridgestones my Fergie came with are great for tractor pulling :lol: I have no illusions that he will run faster but I've read those days how often the oil needs to be changed in the bath filter and thought with my new filter I do not have to care about it anymore.I've paid 12 euros so if I do not like it I will go back to originality.Of course not without torturing you guys with a photo :dance:

ImageIMG_4257 by Timo Olsen, auf Flickr
Olsen

Postby Grunt » Tue May 29, 2018 3:55 pm

Stage one tuning kit for a Fergie. Stage two is to drill more holes in the seat to save weight.
Grunt

Postby Olsen » Tue May 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Grunt wrote:Stage one tuning kit for a Fergie. Stage two is to drill more holes in the seat to save weight.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Been busy for the rest of the day this is the result - stage 5 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF05PWVO_Dc
Olsen

Postby Grunt » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:14 pm

I’m looking for a similar filter for the crankcase filter on my Triumph, but it’s only got a 3/4” inlet, I can’t find one with an elbow on the inlet. Can you tell me where you got yours from.

What’s the chance of rain getting into the filter and draining into the carb. Is there room to angle it downwards so rainwater drained out of it.
Grunt

Postby Olsen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 am

Search for a sport air cleaner designed for motorbikes.Mine is from ebay.They are available in all sizes but I have no idea what happens when it rains.I know that the texture in k&n filters is waterproofed with oil but I guess the one I bought is a cheap chinese filter that will let the water through.

https://www.knluftfilter.com/motorcycle ... lters.aspx
Olsen

Next

Return to Restoration questions and answers