Another Aussie Banana Loader

Tell us about your Fergie and what it's used for..

Another Aussie Banana Loader

Postby GreyFergy101 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:20 pm

G'day all,

I thought Photobucket "photo overload" for you guys might satisfy some people's desire to see most aspects of this unit.

Having being thoroughly enjoying reading through you forum, specifically banana loader orientated threads, I thought members, especially fellow Australian enthusiasts might be interested in my Banana Loader.

Bit of history on the tractor: I purchased it last year in late March, near Heathcoate VIC, after a half jokingly posted and rather pessimistic wanted ad on gumtree- I have wanted an MUE40 since the first time I laid eyes on a picture of one. However, I always thought it would eventuate in importing a unit from the UK in the distant future.

The tractor has a howard reduction gearbox, thus the alternate hydraulic controls- as the reduction gearbox makes use of the normal hydraulic control system impossible.

The loader evidently has quite the history and from my extensive investigations, I suspect this is quite probable to be an original unit- as in the original tractor the loader was first fitted to. Additionally a very "vibrant" and well painted colour scheme indicates it has seen service "off farm" at some stage, perhaps a nursery? Among a large amount of other unique features of the tractor, I have comprised an encompassing document, theorising its likelihood of been the same MUE40 High Lift Loader tractor sent to assist in establishing Mawson Base in 1954/5. If anyone is interested in my reasoning please let me know- it is only a theory at this stage.

The loader is in good shape and only appears to require heavy cleaning and some welding of a few weld cracks, as well as cleaning up a rather ghastly job of strengthening the rear member support bracket.

The loader will see full restoration to high standard with many new components and original reproduction lighting with Ferguson number plate holder, yes this tractor will be club regoed. I additionally need to assess its structural integrity and formulate a method of cleaning and rust proofing it internally. I will avoid heavy operation of the loader.

I am looking forward to getting this machine around to the rallies in the near future.
As I am yet to see another at the rallies, it has been enjoyable to see on this forum another two MUE40's in Australia, as I only know of two others at this time. It would also be worthwhile exhibiting this tractor as many people I have conversed with and ads of supposed "banana loaders" (normally horndraulics) on ebay prove that many know of it but have little idea of its actual design.

I am happy to answer questions, cheers!

Kind regards,
Josh M.

Tractors are like cake.... There is always room for more.

1960 MF35
1952 Ferguson TEA20 Banana Loader
MF 732 Mower
DE E20 Rake
GreyFergy101

Re: Another Aussie Banana Loader

Postby GreyFergy101 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Sorry guys, my linked photos have only allowed 2 thirds to be visible- clicking on the photo will take you to PhotoBucket and allow you to see the full photo. Sorry!

1960 MF35
MF 732 Mower
DE E20 Rake
GreyFergy101

Postby Grunt » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:45 am

I've heard of engine chucking a rod through the block but never seen evidence. That must have gone with a bang.
Grunt

Postby GreyFergy101 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 am

Indeed, it would give one quite the shock. Reportedly, the tractor had a rebuild not long before it blew the conrod. You can mostly see in the picture, the conrod that caused the damage did not actually break, it would seem quite plausible that whoever performed the engine rebuild made a boo boo reattaching this particular conrod to the big end. I am hopeful I have an unscathed rebuilt top end, if it did receive a proper rebuild I may have some pretty good components, I won't know until I pull it down. You can't see it in the photos, however the engine has another two cracks reaching down to the sump, if I pulled the pieces out, literally a third of the left side of the engine block would be missing. I am currently calling it a rare "open crank fergie". :oops: I bought a complete engine in bits at the same time I bought this one, so It will be a case of making one engine out of the two, and possibly some new components, depending on their condition. Then again, if the engine had not have done this, I never would have got my hands on it, let alone at the bargain price I got it for. Cheers.

1960 MF35
MF 732 Mower
DE E20 Rake
GreyFergy101

Return to Your Fergie Experiences