Poppys fergy found!

Tell us about your Fergie and what it's used for..

Re: Poppys fergy found!

Postby White Wolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:18 pm

There are a couple of people on this forum who may be able to tell you your tractors build date. You will need to find the tractor's; serial number which was stamped into an aluminum plate on the steering turret, the engine number, which is stamped into the Left side of the engine block between where the ignition coil is mounted and the oil filler, there should also be a date casting on the Right side of the gearbox near the dipstick (I think you said your tractor is a 1953 so this casting should have two digits for the month, followed by a 3).
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby whitehillbillies » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Hi Conner,
Owner history, well you have more than most.
Pop, owner Pop sold to, you.
How many years did Pop have it for ????

whitehillbillies
whitehillbillies

Postby Connor24 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:44 am

Awesome I'll take a look, yeah it's a bit of history it was bought with the farm when pop bought the farm but apparently the bloke who owned it before pop bought it from the bloke down the road. When pop owned the place it was put to work on the usual things like collecting wood and stuff but dad had told me some things what they used to do like this time when they brought up a concrete troff up from the paddock they had it on the back but the tractor kept doing monnoes dad had to be on the front for weight but didn't work haha another one when dad was a kid pop didn't know he was there and trying to crank the tractor over he slipped and wacked his head on the grill and he muttered f$&kn tractor, dad asked what happened, pop replyed nothing! Pop got the tractor bogged for about two days then got it out with a old school tall jac. when nana was learning to drive it they were doing hay pop and someone else was on the trailer and nana in the drivers seat she let the clutch off too quick and pop and the other guy were flung back and pop was not too happy he had a bit of a temper hahaha. Other stories is was when I was a kid I would always be on the back when it was being driven around. The tractor was a big part of the family so there would be more stories I'll have to find out. After it was sold it went to a bloke from endeavor hills in Melbourne who took it to his farm in wangarratta he said he just used it to get wood and stuff then sold the farm brought it back to endeavor hills and it sat there for about 5 years. Then it was found by me I bought it and now it is used to get wood but also to cart junk around haha great machine!
Connor24

Postby White Wolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 am

G'day Connor,
I didn't realize you are in Australia. Further to finding history about your tractor, there will be an Australian delivery number of four digits stamped in to your tractor. For a Victorian tractor it will most likely be stamped into the identification plate on the dash (mine is stamped into the id plate and into the gearbox cover, near the gear lever). With this number it maybe possible to find out then your tractor arrived into Australia.
Cheers Joshua.
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby Styx » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:48 pm

Delivery number on my TEA20, presumably in Melbourne, was stamped on the rear of the rear axle/diff housing.

axle housing email.jpg
axle housing email.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

axle housing number email.JPG
axle housing number email.JPG (54.22 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

That is, 13 Dec 1956. One of the last.

Styx
Styx

Postby Hiawatha » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Hello Styx , the position of the delivery number on your tractor is very unusual , perhaps they found the gearbox location caused them to wear off under farmer's boots !
Your delivery number 13126 is from a batch of tractors landed at Salmon street Port Melbourne, numbers 12834 through to 13153 . These arrived between the first of April and the thirtieth of June 1956. Even though the numbers fit they really don't show the date of manufacture in the same way as the casting marks near the transmission dipstick do .
The very last TEA to be landed in Melbourne was number 13655 , this arrived sometime during July and September 1956 .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby Styx » Tue May 26, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks for the information Hiawatha,

My TEA20 has the following numbers:
Serial number TEA 503987 (manufactured 29 or 30 March 1956, production finished 13 July 1956)
Engine number SC120701E STANDARD MOTOR COMPANY
Block casting numbers 9 9 5 (meaning cast on 9 September 1955)
Gearbox casting numbers 22 3 6 (meaning cast on 22 March 1956)

So it was one of the last built. It lived a good part of its life at Neerim, Victoria, owned by my uncle.
But I don't know if he was the original owner.
Styx
Styx

Postby Hiawatha » Tue May 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Original records from Ferguson's Coventry works confirm that your tractor,
Serial number ,TEA 503987 was built during the day shift of ,
Friday 30th March 1956.
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Previous

Return to Your Fergie Experiences