'49 TED overhaul

Put you photos of your Fergie here for all to see..

Re: '49 TED overhaul

Postby Steveolew » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:04 pm

Apologies to Moose I wasn't testing you I had just read Norvins rebuild and asked the question forgetting to put the governor bit in...
I no longer have any industrial hacksaw blades so I've been looking at a small trowel that looks similar sort of thickness and is good steel, it would have been good to have an idea as to the thickness of the original as it may save me going back in again, the rivet holes had been filled with old fashioned looking self tappers, I also bought the bits to replace the worn out timing sprockets, chain and I'm going to replace the centrifugal weights.
I'm thinking the last person in here put this in wrong
Managed to get time to call round to pick the engine bits up
Had hardened seats fitted as three were too low and I didn't see the point in not doing them all, also had new guides put in and a skim.
And this lot
I've test fitted the liners and with no gasket/shim they all sit 12 thou low so I've ordered copper seals as the ones in my gasket set are around 11 thou, and reading one of Grunts posts the copper ones should squash a little as they should be around 19 Thou new, but I have to admit the shed was to cold to play for long.....
Steveolew

Postby Steveolew » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 pm

So progress has been slow, too much time at work and not enough play...but for the most part the engine is together without much drama.
I also need to thank John V who has sent me a governor bumper spring , so just in case someone else is in need of the springs dimensions
Steve.
Steveolew

Postby Grunt » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:56 am

Its looking good. I notice your coolant drain tap on the block, is it your addition.
Grunt

Postby Steveolew » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:57 am

That little tap has been in a box with other small fittings for more years than I can remember, so I will see how well it fits when everything else is in place.
Steveolew

Postby John V » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:19 pm

All looking good,glad the spring found its way to you.Still waiting on bearings and cam followers for my engine.
John V

Postby Steveolew » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:17 pm

A little update, when we had warmer days I sprayed the engine and a few other bits.
Then tackled someones removal of a snapped bolt in flywheel
This was a 8.5mm hole at an angle with the remains of a drill bit at the bottom, a 10mm end mill squared the hole up and was tapped for a UNF bolt and without trying to grind the old drill bit out it meant the bolt would be about an 1/8 shorter.

I'm now getting to the point where things I would like to do needs another job doing first so yesterday I made a cover for the manifold and realised another problem to get around,
The new thermostat housing, the angle of the throttle rod hole and where the fuel tank will sit is at an angle the only good thing is the rad lines up with the top hose, so another thing I cannot move forward on until i can line up the rod make a better hole in the housing and a couple of holes in the cover and will have to see how a fuel tank will sit .........The plan at this moment is to remove the paint from the gearbox, have a look inside the steering box and hopefully a new input shaft seal, clutch actuating shaft and bearings and I should be able to put the engine back in place, still a little way off making noise.
Steveolew

Postby John V » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Looking good Steve,keep up the good work.I got the spray gun you sent me and I look forward to using it soon thanks.Broke my timing cover today so a little setback.
John V

Postby Steveolew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:39 pm

warmer weather meant a little more progress, stripped the steering box that was nice and clean and put new seals in, took the advice and filled with grease/gearbox oil mix and did a Norvin mod of fitting a grease nipple to the shroud.
Fitted a new input shaft seal and clutch shaft bearings, why does everyone sell these in pairs when four are needed?
the gearbox/transmission oil drained, not sure why I did this as the plan was to get the engine running and turn the tractor around, cant even blame too much sun but with the engine oil I took about 32Lts out
Is the hole in the side of the bell housing factory if so what for?
A new clutch and bearings fitted and the engine put in place.
Then to find one thread was stripped, although I had run a tap down them the one hole had thread for the last 1/4" and it was only when tightening I realised, I intend on tapping it 1/2 unc and opening the clearance hole a little, and as Hiawatha has suggested using this to mount an exhaust bracket from.
Another question and I hope this is just paranoia on my part, the gearbox has been draining for best part of two months, nice clean gearbox oil came out when I tried the tractor I just checked that gears selected and there were no nasty noises, so over the weekend I deiced to turn the engine over by hand with the plugs out and it sounds like I can just hear the input gear that is making a " loose fit" noise I'm thinking this is just where there is no oil ?? I'm hoping not to have to part it again........
Steveolew

Postby John V » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Their was a bolt stripped on my gear box and I just tapped it up a size.l would think stripped threads are common enough on the soft alloy gear box castings.I got away with an m12 I think it was.The noise in the box would be the gears engaging just as you make that first turn.Its looking good by the way :thumbsup: .
John V

Postby Steveolew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks John, when you rebuilt your gearbox did you find more noise if you turned it the opposite way to its normal direction of rotation?
Steveolew

PreviousNext

Return to Fergie Gallery