'49 TED overhaul

Put you photos of your Fergie here for all to see..

Re: '49 TED overhaul

Postby John V » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Steveolew wrote:Thanks John, when you rebuilt your gearbox did you find more noise if you turned it the opposite way to its normal direction of rotation?

To be honest Steve I didn't take note of any noise but can recall on the first turn you could just hear the input shaft engage it's opposite cog.I lubed up all the gears,cogs,bearings with grease on assembly so noise would be to a minimum. The only bit of panic I had with the first gearbox I built was getting the gears as with no oil in their it was stiff but freed up once oil was introduced. Was their oil in their when you noticed the noise?.I would imagine if your shimmed up with the correct preload it should be fine.From memory in the manual i think it says to set preload on the shafts before gears are installed,whether this would have much bearing on the final outcome,I don't know.I drove for miles on one gearbox I built with no problems,the other will be driving soon.
John V

Postby Grunt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:42 pm

Rather than retapping the hole, how about fitting a stud that bottoms out in the hole so it uses all the thread and fitting a nut to it. Or fitting a helicoil, I believe they are available in UNC sizes.
Grunt

Postby Steveolew » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:06 am

John the only things I have done to the gearbox was to change the input shaft oil seal and I used gasket paper of similar thickness to what came out, and was to grease up the selector shafts and springs and to turn the gears around and look for missing teeth etc.
Grunt, I'm not a huge fan of helicoils I know they can work but I would have tap the hole to fit one so I will have a look to see if like John said a 12mm will do and make a stud with 7/16 on the other end.....well thats the plan at this moment.
Any idea what the hole in the bell housing is for?
Steveolew

Postby Grunt » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:58 am

I know what you mean about helicoils, somehow they just don’t seem right. I have used them successfully a few times and have come across instances where they’ve been used dozens of times, but the mistrust is still there.

I can’t think of an explanation for the hole, neither of mine has one.
Grunt

Postby John V » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 am

Steveolew wrote:John the only things I have done to the gearbox was to change the input shaft oil seal and I used gasket paper of similar thickness to what came out, and was to grease up the selector shafts and springs and to turn the gears around and look for missing teeth etc.
Grunt, I'm not a huge fan of helicoils I know they can work but I would have tap the hole to fit one so I will have a look to see if like John said a 12mm will do and make a stud with 7/16 on the other end.....well thats the plan at this moment.
Any idea what the hole in the bell housing is for?

I don’t think you will have a problem so if it was ok before.
John V

Previous

Return to Fergie Gallery