Super Dexta

Are you restoring any other tractors? Tell us about it here..

Super Dexta

Postby trotman999 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:15 pm

We were offered this Dexta through my son’s friend as it had been sat in someone’s yard for years….It had the remains of a cab & loader fitted and had obviously had a very hard life
Dexta unloading_opt.jpg
Dexta unloading_opt.jpg (38.79 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

dexta 2 parked_opt (2).jpg
dexta 2 parked_opt (2).jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

The steering column was very wobbly, but it took some very serious effort to steer the front wheels.
Most of the tin work was still there, but everything was very bent and rusty. The engine did turn a little using a starting handle, but it did feel a little strange?
We removed the remnants of the loader, but the cab frame had been welded to wings so took some carful cutting to remove.
We took the engine off, removed the head and the bores were in reasonable condition, small wear lip, the liners were very glazed but not scored.
Took the oil filter off and turned it face down on an old tray to drain, while I took the sump off…15mins later and almost no oil came out…it was a solid mass of set oil, and I had to prise the filter element out using a bar, while holding the filter casing in a vice !
Removed the sump and no surprise that it had over an inch of congealed oil in the bottom, which was so thick, it took ages with a heavy scraper to remove…must have been nearly of a gallon of muck.
Took the pistons out and removed the crankshaft. Both the big ends and main bearings were worn right through the white metal and well into the copper layer.
bearing_small_opt.jpg
bearing_small_opt.jpg (30.53 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

I can’t work out how the thing ran, as you could actually see the crank see move inside the main bearing caps, if you pulled the crankshaft pulley up and down. But surprisingly the crank wasn’t as bad as I thought and was salvageable.
Starter motor and dynamo both needed new brushes….. The dynamo only seemed to have one brush fitted!
The fuel tank had a peppering of pin holes in the bottom, so these were filled with silver solder.
Removed the fuel filter and it was very similar to the oil filter, as it was just one solid mass of sludge.
A Dexta fuel filter casing is about the size of a large mug, but when I emptied out the filter it only held about ½ and egg cup of fuel…the rest was solid muck.
After much cleaning with many gallons of paraffin, the engine was reassembled with rebuilt cylinder head, light hone of the bores, new rigs, bearings, seals etc and a new clutch.
Changed the oils seals on the gearbox shafts in the bell housing and popped the engine back on.
The reason the steering was so stiff was due to non-existent king pin bearings on both sides… I’m guessing the weight of the loader and working in a yard just wore them away to nothing…
The back end was in much better mechanical condition, just very covered in a thick layer of farm yard mud.
Wire brushed, primed, painted, checked over and changed the oil etc and it seemed fine.
Had to replace the rad as the old one had the core plugged up with car body filler?
dexta nose rad_opt (1).jpg
dexta nose rad_opt (1).jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

Cut, welded and filled the original nose cone (new ones are around £200 and lots of horror stories about them not fitting) and welded up the wings.
Started it up and apart from a weeping water pump it ran well.
dexta mike driving.jpg
dexta mike driving.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

Drove it to a show about 6 miles from our place and it didn’t miss a beat.
Probably the most abused engine I’ve ever seen, but now a very good tractor.
TEA20, TED20, MF35, Super Dexta, DB780 & DB990
trotman999

Re: Super Dexta

Postby Grunt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Marvelous story. It's amazing how much abuse they will take and still keep running. I suppose what's more unbelievable is that they are given the abuse in the first place.
Grunt

Postby Daturat100r » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:06 am

nice work
Daturat100r

Postby White Wolf » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:34 am

Fantastic restoration, Well done.
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby Littlefergie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 am

Brilliant restoration, I'd love to do one of these next
Littlefergie

Postby whitehillbillies » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Lovely restoration,
Try doing that to something modern,

Whb
whitehillbillies

Postby trotman999 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:02 pm

Just starting a MF35 petrol / tvo.. but fought and has a small crack in the block.. Will post on here how I get on.. thanks for the comments much appreciated
TEA20, TED20, MF35, Super Dexta, DB780 & DB990
trotman999

Postby Hal Mercier » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Lovely job!
I love bringing these poor, abused old machines back to vigorous new life. I've done restorations on really trashed vintage offroad 'bikes, and (competition) cars, never had to do a tractor, and the TEA20 I recently bought was 95% restored, on a supposedly sound base. Doubtless it'll need a head job, there not much compression!Oh yeah, the tranny seems to have a lot of strange substances inside.....
Hal Mercier

Return to Restoration