Sandblasting a tractor.

Are you restoring any other tractors? Tell us about it here..
Michell
Reactions:
Norway

Sandblasting a tractor.

Post by Michell » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Any body have try to sandblast a tractor . How long does it take to sandblast with a good sandblaster and with a big compressor???

. I Will do it in july to my mf 65 with a Ibix 25 sandblaster.
Thanks so much . Michell . Norway :thumbsup: :roll:

Jordhandson
Reactions:
Great Britain

Re: Sandblasting a tractor.

Post by Jordhandson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi Michel these times are based on my system, but time wise will depend on a few thing like are you blasting outside on a sheet or in an enclosed area, size of pot, how many bags it hold mine holds 12x 25Kg bags, and how many times you need clear up the media to fill it, size of compressor, ie, will you need to wait for pressure build up I have 2300 litres of air with 186CFM air supply. Then there is the tractor how much you take off it. The main body of a Fergie will probably take you 5 hours as it amazing how much you miss and have to go back to it, Then there is the tin work and other parts, overall I would allow a couple of days once all the parts are off. Preparation is key block up and cover every hole as you will be amazed where the blasting media gets, anything where there is a bearing will need to be stripped after the blasting to clean any grit out. Things like wing bolts and any thread that’s looking rusty blast first then take off, it will save you a lot of time as once there blasted move a lot easier. I always put the nuts back on the wheel threads as it protects the threads, ie getting grit in threads in the wheel nuts is difficult to get out plus it saves blasting the nuts separately. Oh I forgot one thing ,time wise will depend also on how many cups of tea or coffee you will need, it quite intense work.
Very rewarding once done though, happy blasting :thumbsup:
DSC_0583.JPG
DSC_0583.JPG (186.53 KiB) Viewed 622 times

Michell
Reactions:
Norway

Post by Michell » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks so much jordhandson for your long letter about sandblasting. I Will make a Little house in plastik and blast inside there so I easely can take blast media to juse again. The IBIX 25 ..( See you tube) takes 25 kilo off media and then I rent a big industri kompressor that gives 500 m2 off air so I can go to 9 bar if I need and I have all the air I need under my hole work. I dont have to wait. So I will not go down on air . I Will take most things apart on the mf 65 and then take intensive long shift about the blasting on it. So Then meby it will be 2 day off hard work to get her up to shiney standart again. I Really look forward to blast the tractor so She Will her clean again and ready for paint. Thanks again for your Nice letter to me :smile: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jordhandson
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Jordhandson » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:42 pm

That,s the way to go Michel, keep your eyes out for an old marquee there handy for the odd outside blasting and one can normally pick them up quite cheap. :thumbsup: