Firewood stacking in the US

Discuss anything here.. except tractors and steam engines..

Re: Firewood stacking in the US

Postby White Wolf » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:02 am

I might need front weights as the tractor can only cary one piece of firewood at a time.
20160730_140729-640x384.jpg
20160730_140729-640x384.jpg (105.83 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby Hiawatha » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:55 am

A break in the weather has let me get the kinetic splitter into a prototype working state .

IMGP3341.JPG
IMGP3341.JPG (198.22 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

It is a truly scary contraption , not so much due to the cutting edge but more so because of the weight needed to make the splitting head effective .

IMGP3343.JPG
IMGP3343.JPG (178.96 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

The huge block of steel weighs 35 kg , the cutter 2 kg and the shaft of the cutter hidden within the boom a further 15 kg , a whopping 52 kg in total . The forces deployed on the frame and pivot are enormous .

The tensioning of the springs required a hand winch in order to lower the boom while the head was being attached .
IMGP3345.JPG
IMGP3345.JPG (150.55 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

First results are only reasonable , I used some seasoned silver wattle ; not the hardest of woods , I had no trouble splitting that . I wasn't prepared to give it a real go mainly because the frame and especially the platten are still only tack welded . It remains to be seen if it is really useful , once welded properly and braced for stability I might be able to give it the speed it needs to work effectively ; Force = Mass x Velocity . I have the mass , just need the speed to create the force .

IMGP3342.JPG
IMGP3342.JPG (168.92 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

I think the general consensus of members at the onset was correct . Grunt , in his dour , Hobbit-like way thought it might be ok for kindling . Seeing that he has failed to learn from WW's instructive YouTube clip , he might find making one of these worth his while . :)
Splitting dry gum is probably out of the question , green wood cut at 12'' lengths might be achievable .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby bulls eye » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:01 am

Gday guys, found this interesting thread when checking out the forum. You lot are putting the fergies to great use with carrying and stacking all that firewood. Some great stacks and ways to keep all that firewood nice and dry for the winter. Bit of a shame that's not a skill that we need to use here in sunny qld. Generally use my fergie for stacking beach chairs, eskies, barbies and all that hot stuff.
I do like the idea of the glock though.
Bullseye
bulls eye

Postby Hiawatha » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:51 am

It's that time of year again , the firewood shed was close to empty and the stack on the lower field had sat out in the open for almost a year .

IMGP3483.JPG
IMGP3483.JPG (128.57 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

The Grey one earned its keep transporting the split billets up to the wood shed next to the house .

Filling the wood shed .JPG
Filling the wood shed .JPG (149.29 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

I used a trailer I repaired just for this purpose and a trailer hitch that allowed me to tilt the trailer to make unloading easier .

Fergie at the wood shed.JPG
Fergie at the wood shed.JPG (130.99 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

Just for the Arachnophobes amongst you a photograph of something I found in the wood pile , as big as my hand :o

Huntsman.JPG
Huntsman.JPG (130.8 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Hiawatha

Postby pcp20us » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:40 am

Ha guys. Nice postings, Like WW wheelies why moving wood, the v8 chainsaw is insane, but man it would be fun to use. HW that log splitter looks like you want to know what your doing.

Living in QLD we dont need to collect that much firewood, and the way we cut tree down around here we always have enough, alibet its softwood and not always good burning wood, but have a fergie or 3, a trailer and a carryall makes life easy :smile:

Fergie ON
TED 20's everywhere
QLD Australia
pcp20us

Postby Hiawatha » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:54 am

Firewood time was well overdue this year .
I've finally found enough time to finish off the kinetic wood splitter and the results are really bloody good .
It was only tacked together when I first tried it and what force I did dare give it was absorbed by the flexing of the joints . Now it is all rigid and on a sound enough base most of the effort ends up at the splitting head , the addition of a decent handle made a huge difference to how much force I could use on the down stroke as well . In order to give it a fair test and find its limitations I used the hardest gnarliest twin leader gum log I could find in the wood pile . I tried splitting a piece from the same tree with a hand maul and had the average six or eight blows per log to split it into four .
The Kinetic splitter was really efficient , no gross shoulder rotation , no toe smashing over runs , no wrist jarring over strikes and less than half the effort and strokes needed to do the same job .

IMGP3556.JPG
IMGP3556.JPG (211.48 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

Admittedly the logs need to be less than 18'' in length in order to split well , they must also be lifted onto the platten in order to be split but after that its all plain sailing .

IMGP3557.JPG
IMGP3557.JPG (219.62 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

Certainly not suitable for huge rounds like WW splits but good enough for medium logs and decent branch wood. I wouldn't relegate it to the production of kindling either , this splitter really does split logs . The added advantages are , no power needed except your own and the noise is minimal , very little chance of hitting your fingers as the maul follows the same path each time and as the splitting occurs on the platten there is no need to bend over to pick up split billets .

IMGP3558.JPG
IMGP3558.JPG (238.18 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

Nice to see a wild idea come to fruition and another project finished .
Hiawatha

Postby Moose » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Nice work Charles. It would be interesting to see a short video of it in action.
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Re: Firewood stacking .

Postby Hiawatha » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Enjoy the break everyone :smile: . Easter is such a turning point for the year , the harbinger of Winter for us down South , the promise of Spring for the rest of you . For me it marks the last few weeks I have to be able to work at the farm before the rain makes everything so wet that using the tractors is impossible . It's also the time for firewood ! Chainsaw at the ready , splitter greased and about to be given its first production run .
Hiawatha

Postby Grunt » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Easter was always the time of year for filling the log store for next winter so the wood was well seasoned. But with wood chippers getting more powerful and more people getting wood burners free tree wood is getting almost impossible to find so I have to buy it ready logged, which isn’t cheap but as far as I’m concerned well worth it, a proper fire seems to give off a different heat. It’s a shame I don’t have an excuse to buy a cord wood saw for the Fergie.

Is that a cat you’re chopping up in that last pic H.
Grunt

Postby WillH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:22 pm

Nothing really tough here so splitting maul does the job. Felled a couple of Silver Birch a few week ago going to turn them into logs tomorrow/Monday and then got 15 birch and 15 field maple to plant out

Don't know bout you but I find splitting and stacking the wood to be an experience of great contentment
WillH

Previous

Return to General Discussion