"...and now for something completely different..."

This is the place for general Fergie chat..

"...and now for something completely different..."

Postby Hal Mercier » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:35 am

....well, not COMPLETELY different, as it may just be linked to the "Coffee Incident" I reported here back in November of 2017.

http://www.greyfergieforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3197

Nobody has been able to come up with a convincing explanation of that bit of weirdness so far.

I have intended to go and see the 94 year old French couturier who sold me the Moulin I'm restoring, to see if the room the Incident occurred in has had a history of mass coffee-bean roasting, or whether the fact that two of us witnessed the room suddenly fill with the unmistakable smell of roasting fresh coffee means anything at all to her, in the light of her own history with the building.
She lived there as a girl, and then she and her husband, who did a lot of stonework on it, used it in the summer for decades till he died a few years back.

Anyway, this is the latest odd little detail...

Since The French Tart moved in, I've taken some precautions because I detest owl-shite. It's very hard to remove from paintwork, as it seems to have the consistency of plaster of Paris...and I reckon the owl that used to live in the barn part of the Mill was a big producer....it left phenomenal amounts, dropped off the crossbeams, and though I think it moved out when I laid the concrete floor, it certainly used to come back at night while taking a break from hunting, to use the place as a public convenience.

So I recently blocked up the only possible access hole, in the gable end. The second one turned out to have a chicken-wire grille anyway.

Then about a week ago, I swept the floor so all the huge 'pellets' were in one pile.

After the unfortunate petrol related problem, I'd left the Fergy parked diagonally in the barn.

Yesterday while there I cut the grass and after parking the ride-on mower, went over to check something on the Fergy and noticed something small lying on the immaculately swept concrete.

Picked it up and was surprised to find it was a small blue glass crucifix! I think it's quite old....there are signs of verdigris on the brass, or bronze attachment loop,and it's quite a crude looking manufacturing method. It's definitely not a mass produced thing out of a mould, I'd say not that I know anything much about glass making.

I haven't cleaned the cross at all....note small amount of dirt on the upper surfaces, as if it's been hanging, but no chain wear on the link.

1.jpg
1.jpg (125.62 KiB) Viewed 625 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 625 times

Initially I reckoned it had somehow been picked up by the tractor tread, or the ride on tread, but in fact due to lack of mud on the cross, and on the Fergy treads, that's impossible.

The ride on hadn't been near that part of the barn floor anyway.

My French neighbour is the only person to have been in the barn sice I swept the floor, so I asked him if he'd dropped it and he had never seen it before. He suggested my wife....who was there the day I blocked the owl hole.
I asked her, she's never seen it before either...

So....either someone has a double of the key, or, (most likely to appeal to a rationalist materialist sceptic) my roofer buddy dropped it when he was on the roof for an hour late last year.

Or, my 94 year old vendor dropped it in her youth, while up there helping her dad shuffle Roman tiles around, as we regularly need to do, one summer in about 1940. Could have been up there all that time, getting moved by the roofer slightly and then finally reaching tipping-point when a windy night eventually brought it down.

So....next stop the roofer and then I guess I will have to go and ask the vendor.
Hal Mercier

Re: "...and now for something completely different..."

Postby Grunt » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:48 am

The possibility of a Douglas Adams type worm hole in the space time continuum needs to be discussed.
Grunt

Postby Hiawatha » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Charles Fort would call it an ' Apport ' Hal .
It looks vaguely familiar , somewhat like the little glass weights used to hold down the linen doilies used to cover milk , cream or cheese in glass jugs and indeed sacrificial wine in chalices in Church . Either that or a charm from a bracelet .
Best guess for its appearance would be that it was resting on one of the beams the Owl roosted on and if not dislodged by him then by a passing rodent .

As far a the ' coffee' goes it could just be a regular everyday manifestation of a haunting . Nothing too unusual in that. In 1979 I lived in an old bakery , I was good friends with the young American couple who lived in what remained of an old pub next door but before I knew them well they complained many times about my ' Pipe smoke ' pervading their lounge room . There were no other houses close by so they just assumed that I was smoking some rough and heavy tobacco and that somehow the smoke was making its way into their house. I've never smoked , well I did but I never inhaled :wink: Certainly not some shag that an old sailor would smoke . Some years later they left , the smell drove them mad and upset their new child , locals spoke of old Robbo a crotchety retired fisherman who died in that very room and who was known for smoking tobacco that reeked .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby Hal Mercier » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:23 pm

That's a great tale, Hiawatha. I'm inclined to think it has to be something along these lines, there being not a trace of a 'rational explanation' in sight.

In fact I have had some previous experience of an apport....unbelievably, it happened while I was carefully restoring a ramp of 4 Keihin 1976 carbs for a Honda GL1000.

As this can only be done successfully in a highly disciplined way, with every tiny part placed lovingly in specially numbered small boxes, the whole operation dictated on a DVD from the maestro in America Randall Washington, it was very clear that a spare part had mysteriously appeared in the 'big bits' box.

The piece was a float-valve clip, a tiny stainless steel thing.

I reported this incident in detail, with photos, on the American Old Goldwing site, http://www.NGWclub forum, and a surprising number of people mailed me privately saying "Yup, something similar happened to me...."

https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50988&p=541883&hilit=Keihin+mystery#p541883

I think 'reality' has a superb sense of humour! :mrgreen:
Hal Mercier

Postby Hal Mercier » Sun May 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Today I finally managed to talk with the 94 year old French woman who grew up in the Mill and sold it to me. She told me it was her father who built the monster fireplace, mainly because the original always smoked into the room. The most recent fire was due to a security failure on a gas central heating system.

She had no explanation of the Phantom Coffee, said they used an electric coffee maker, and no, she had never been up on the roof shifting tiles, and didn't like crosses either!

Most wacko all round.

I can only think a deranged bird, jackdaw or similar, flew in with it in the 30 minutes the barn door was half open while I mowed the grass.

Or someone was in the habit of hurling costume jewellery onto the roof and instead of ending up in the guttering, like water does when it falls on a tiled roof, it miraculously penetrated the roof and after many years, deposited itself without breaking, on my newly swept concrete floor.

Or, we're back to Grunt's wormholes....ah jist dunno!

Interesting, though!
Hal Mercier

Postby Grunt » Mon May 07, 2018 12:08 am

Wormholes is the answer. Has anyone seen my tyre pressure gauge?
Grunt

Postby Hal Mercier » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 am

I'm now pretty convinced the cross was on the main beam of a truss which was above the spot where I found it. I have noticed mouse droppings on the bonnet of the Fergy, which I'd not have spotted otherwise, so I guess a mouse pushed it off the beam.

The coffee smell is still an unknown, but if it's associated with anyone previously in the Mill, it precedes the woman I bought it from. She said they always used an electric coffee maker, and she detests crosses as jewellery and has never been up on the roof!

Saturday, the Imp/Coffee Phantom appears to have managed the trick of dematerialising a key, which is a bit of a bugger as it's the only one for the sous-sol, which I need to get into to finish the electrical installation, but more urgently, to finish plumbing the waste pipe for the kitchen.

Several people have suggested some sort of exorcism might be a smart idea! :shock: :mrgreen:
Hal Mercier

Postby Grunt » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:45 am

Have you heard of Boggles. Look it up Yorkshire folk law if you haven’t. A month or so ago my triumph tank badges went missing, they turned up this morning sat in plain view on top of my tool cabinet. Boggles or worm holes in the space time continuum are to blame. No one mention white feathers or the current Mrs Grunt will go on a half hour rant.
Grunt

Postby Fergymal » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 am

I also have had instances of spending an hour looking for something and when I walk into the shed the next morning it will be sitting on the bench. :o followed by :x
Cheers Malcolm
1948 TEA 20 showpony
1955 TEA 20 for tractor treks
1956 TEC 20 showpony
1954 TED 20 farm tractor
1955 TEF 20 to be restored
1957 FE35 Diesel under restoration for show
Fergymal

Postby Hal Mercier » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 am

The missing key has been found!

As the sous-sol level of the Moulin is very hard to get into, short of taking a chain-saw to the oak door, which opens outwards, I had to remove some oak floorboards which I'd put in where the kitchen hearth used to be bricks held by steel straps between the joists. I needed to do this because the brick arrangement had allowed two joist ends to rot and I couldn't replace them with the bricks in place.

So I went in through the hearth!

I then managed to open the door, which has two flaps, easily enough.

Later some friends came round, and after they helped me move some stoves and other heavy stuff, we were discussing the door problem and I said I'd need a new lock, when Jane (Bond) said "Look at that!!!" pointing to an area of grass....and 'twas the missing key!

So really the only strange thing to have happened there seems to be the Coffee Incident.

Yesterday after doing some bits and pieces there, I decided to cut my fuel line on the Fergus and insert a clear plastic fuel filter. What a great idea this is! Apart from protecting the carb from crud (I'd found lots in it) it means you can see how much fuel is coming in from the tank. In my case, VERY LITTLE!

So I think this indicates the infamous cigarette filter is well blocked. While with a new tank, they are a good idea, with a 60 year old one I think they become a liability.
Hal Mercier

Return to General Ferguson Discussion