TEA details

If you wish to add your registration details the add them here..
whitehillbillies
Australia

Re: TEA details

Post by whitehillbillies » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:51 am

Where are you Harry ?
Im in the Tweed Valley, Northern NSW

whb

Harry50

Post by Harry50 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:17 am

Hi Hiawatha, my tractor was delivered to Tasmania mate. Cheers

Harry50

Post by Harry50 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:19 am

Hi white hillbillies I'm in tassie mate. Cheers

Hiawatha
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 pm

Harry , Tasmanian tractors made landfall here in Melbourne at Station Pier , they were then transferred to one of the Tasmanian cargo ferries , most likely either the Nairana or the Taroona .
If they actually made it to the dock side rather than being loaded directly from ship to ship they would have been stamped with the Australian Delivery Number , usually found on the gearbox cover plate for Victorian deliveries and in a few other places when landed in NSW and QLD.

This photograph shows the number on my own TED , if it's there the number should be in a similar position on your tractor .
Secret serial no.2_resize.JPG
Secret serial no.2_resize.JPG (37.21 KiB) Viewed 917 times
A very early tractor stamped in the area used for NSW deliveries .
serial number plate early brass variety showing number four delivery number .JPG
serial number plate early brass variety showing number four delivery number .JPG (41.63 KiB) Viewed 917 times
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe

Harry50

Post by Harry50 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 am

Hi Hiawatha , just received your reply and thank you for info. I will have a look over the weekend and see what I can dig up. Cheers mate. Regards harry

Harry50

Post by Harry50 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:58 am

Hello Hiawatha I had a look at my tractor where you've shown on your tractor, and there wasn't any stamping so whatsoever. From the casting numbers on the engine and rear diff housing I can only presume it was delivered to Aus in early 51 or possibly very late 50. Would there be anywhere else I could look for some stampings etc. My casting numbers are 25 9 0. Cheers

Hiawatha
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:44 pm

The casting numbers show the 25th of September 1950 .
So if the rear end is the original to the tractor then it should be a six volt model with no air intake in the dash panel .
There is a much bandied about ' rule of thumb ' about six weeks from casting to the end of the production line , even if this were true it would still make your tractor likely to have been built in 1950 .
It also took six to eight weeks to travel by ship to Melbourne from London docks so the delivery would have been sometime in early 1951 .
I have found tractors with genuine serial numbers and casting dates that are as little as a week apart and in one case three days , this was during the height of production during 1952/3 , so the six weeks lag is just an average and not really reliable .
The casting practices must have been superior to most as it was usual to leave fresh castings to sit for a while to ' settle ' before using them . Obviously demand was high at the time .
Other places to look for numbers are the coil , radiator , generator , starter and in rare cases under the rocker cover and next to the tappets stamped into the top of the head .
These will give you a year at least and sometimes a month , anything by Lucas Electric was usually stamped .
A long shot , when the serial number was originally stamped at the factory the impressions sometimes went into the steering turret alloy underneath . A really careful look here under strong side light might show up something .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe

Harry50

Post by Harry50 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 am

Hi Hiawatha thank you for your wealth of wisdom. Your info has reinforced info I have from a gentleman here in tassie, he comes from Deloraine which is a town rich in history with tractors. I spoke with him a while ago and he told me a lot of what you said. I didn't know about the rocker cover stampings though, when I do the valve clearances I'll have a snoop around for some numbers. My tractor has no air intake on dash as you said but it is 12volt, I would be very certain it had been converted at one time, from 6volt. The Lucas generator is stamped 58 as well as 12v etc. so I'm guessing this was done around that time maybe. 12volt conversions would have been very popular I suppose as 6volt is a bit underpowered, unreliable too I'd say. Also 6volt stuff is very expensive for a restorer too. Once again, many thanks for yr replies, it's good to talk to gentlemen like yourself that have a lot of good information. Cheers old mate.