My Shed

Sheds are very popular.. so lets talk about yours..

Re: My Shed

Postby pcp20us » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:26 am

Fantastic reading.... nice work on the buildings and love the history....
TED 20's everywhere
QLD Australia

Re: My Shed , a cautionary tale !

Postby Hiawatha » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:21 pm

A Wombat has taken up residence under my power generation shed and I have suffered his existence even though he has dug and clawed through the entire subfloor area around stumps and under the adjacent bathroom .

Besides it has a low floor and there was no way I was going to crawl round on my belly trying to turf him out or so I thought .
I heard an ominous water hissing sound coming from under the toilet pan right in the middle of the whole shebang and in the most inaccessible area imaginable , there was nothing for it but to crawl under through the Wombat's own entrance and see what was happening .

Snake hole .JPG
Snake hole .JPG (206.65 KiB) Viewed 681 times

Five odd metres flat on my belly though this !

Snake hole 2.JPG
Snake hole 2.JPG (161.59 KiB) Viewed 681 times

I found the leak and returned with the pipe joiner and tools and braced myself for another ' Great Escape ' experience , then there in the gloom I saw what I thought was the pipe , that is until the pipe moved and came towards me ! I froze , then gingerly and very slowly turned the torch slightly to illuminate the ' pipe ' , there not two feet away and looking directly at my horrified face, tongue flicking ,body slightly coiled , eyes bright in the light of the torch ,was the biggest Tiger snake I have ever seen . Fat and sleek from a Spring spent eating the rats and mice that seem to find this building irresistible.
Curtains I thought , a snake that size would deliver such a load of venom that I would have less than a hour's grace , this coupled with the exertion needed to extricate myself from underneath the building and the inevitable panic would ensure that I was incapable of movement within twenty minutes . To add to the horror there was also the knowledge that the venom delivered or even spat into an eye would lead to certain and permanent blindness.
Then a Christmas miracle occurred , I swear it winked at me before it slowly backed away , two souls , neither wanting to die just at that moment reached a consensus and went on their own separate ways .

I gave thanks and backed out carefully , the entire time hoping that there were no ' Family members ' behind me .

Yet there was still the problem of the water leak , it took more than a few drams of Scotch to steady the nerves until I could summon the courage to re enter the sub floor and fix the leak .

Bloody Wombat , the offending hole looks as if it was made with a tool , such is the size and strength of their teeth .
Wombat bite.JPG
Wombat bite.JPG (176.52 KiB) Viewed 681 times

So a timely reminder to not get annoyed and blunder about with eyes closed like Hiawatha , especially in this season .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe

Postby Daturat100r » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:30 am

Bit scary there Charlse,worst things here in NZ are Aussie imports

Postby Grunt » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:31 am

The Scariest thing under my shed is woodlice. I still wouldn’t crawl under it even if the winning lottery ticket was in there.

Ey up Datura how you doing.

Postby Moose » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Wow! I have to drive about 3 hours to run into a venomous snake here. We killed them all off. :oops:

So, you went back in? Did you not assume that the snake was still there, waiting for you???
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085

Postby C@sp@r » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Wow :shock: that must have been some experience! Can understand the need for some drinks to go there again...
1953 TEA 20

Postby whitehillbillies » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Foxy or jacky, it what you need.
send um in first. mine has put the odd snake on its Merry :grin1: way.
Good for you rats and mice.

Postby pcp20us » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:31 pm

I would not like to be that close to a tiger and time, Good thing he was in the christmas spirit!! :grin1:
TED 20's everywhere
QLD Australia

Postby White Wolf » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:04 am

Hiawatha now you know why that American bloke carried a Glock while splitting firewood!
Very glad to hear that you survived.
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Return to Sheds