Discovery 300tdi clutch

If you're stuck with something, ask the question here..
stiv
Reactions:
France

Re: Discovery 300tdi clutch

Post by stiv » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:39 am

Thanks C@sp@r, that would be better than threaded bar. I think that's what White Wolf used for his transfer box, but I'l need bolts of about 20cm in all, to give maximum clearance for getting at the clutch. Bolts should be available, otherwise I thought a plain bar which I can put a short thread on (Ooh! Listen to the big engineer, talking... Ha, ha!).

stiv
Reactions:
France

Post by stiv » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:02 pm

44 days to change a clutch!!!!!

In fact, I probably only spent about 20 hours 'spanner in hand', but flimmin' 'eck.

It was a rotten job to do on the lawn in front of the house at the beginning of winter, and I lost a couple of weeks due to it raining a lot in December. I did do half an hour one day in the drizzle, but it wasn't fun and I was soaked from the knees down (sticking out from underneath) and had to change my trousers shoes and socks...
Towing to a flat spot
Towing to a flat spot
Fergie towing Discovery-600x337.JPG (93.54 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Everyone says that it can be done with ordinary tools, but you certainly need a good trolley jack (lent kindly by a neighbour) and a set of deep socket spanners. Patiently (stubbornly!) I spent a good couple of hours trying to free the nuts with my ordinary sockets but, due to the long studs, they were only touching the end of the nuts, which were really tight, and they were starting to round off, so I gave up until I could get into town to get a deep 15mm socket, a couple more days lost. With the new socket, and a new extendable ratchet spanner to give me more leverage, the nuts came off quite easily...
Except for one, which turned out to be a 16mm nut (with attached washer instead of a flange, a different type of nut, fitted last time the clutch was changed I guess, and when I tried to buy replacement nuts for all the studs the only ones available locally were the same 16mm with a fitted, but turning, washer instead of a flange, so that's what is now fitted).
New and old bell housing nuts
New and old bell housing nuts
Discovery bell housing nuts-600x337.JPG (82.12 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

Off to town again, a couple of days later, to get a 16mm deep socket. I ended up getting a set of sockets, just to be sure. I got to all of the nuts, except the one at 11 o'clock, which also needed a wobbly knuckle thingy bit, with just one standard long extension, even the top bolt.

I had already taken the gearbox mounts off and lowered the ensemble to rest on the cross frame and with a trolley jack under the handbrake drum (handbrake on...), and had another jack under the front of the engine, to hold it at an angle for re-attaching the bell housing. The whole lot slipped/rolled back quite easily. I ended up using two lengths of threaded bar (couldn't find long bolts locally) to guide/retain the angle for refittting, and they worked a treat, allowing me to 'wind' up the housing with a nut on each bar to refit with no problem at all (if a little long winded...) and with no visible damage to the housing.

I lost another couple of weeks due to waiting for parts which I hadn't forseen needing when I originally ordered the clutch kit several weeks before, especially the stupid little plastic washer clip that holds the push rod onto the clutch release fork.
The original one had melted into a knobbly ball with the heat that had built up from using the clutch right to the end, so I ordered one and also one of the little staples that hold the release bearing in place, not having found the original at all. They arrived after a few days, and a few more days later, I was able to fit them, ready to put everything back together.... Except that some 'total, no brain dimwit' had decided to make the clip out of a fragile, non flexible plastic, that, being fragile and non flexible, duly snapped as I tried to squeeze it into the hole provided for it in the release fork.

Nooooooooo! Off I trudged to the house to order a new one - I ordered five. More days lost. The first of the five broke, of course, as I tried, gently, to clip it in place, but the second of the five (which was in fact the third of the six), seeing my plight, and with great empathy on its part, and probably in full agreement with me that its maker was a total nutball, eased into the hole with a gentle click. Hurrah!
The dreaded clip and the staple
The dreaded clip and the staple
Discovery clutch arm and bits-600x337.JPG (85.33 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
With all the time and wet weather that had passed since I seperated the bell housing, the once shiny flywheel was now a rather worrying shade of orange.
Rusty flywheel
Rusty flywheel
Discovery flywheel rust-600x337.JPG (94.14 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
It seemed OK and I opted just to wipe it several times with a cloth soaked in brake cleaner. Fitting the clutch was quite easy. The top bolt, of the six, was a little awkward but otherwise no problem, other than lying on your back with a nut in one hand and a reasonably heavy clutch in the other, but once two bolts were in, and the little guide shaft, it was quickly fitted.

Finally, at 5pm last Sunday, the Disco was back on the ground and I was ready to test the new clutch. Engine started, clutch in - good pressure on the pedal, but then I hadn't touched the hydraulics so that was as it should be, 1st gear ...Crunch, grrrrr, kreeeee. Merde! No clutch at all.

This is a photo (artists impression) of me taken a few minutes later.
Phhhrrrrrtttttttt....
Phhhrrrrrtttttttt....
deflated-600x433.jpg (50.14 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Totally deflated, I went in for a coffee and a search on the internet to see what it might be.

20 minutes later, with an idea given by someone who had had exactly the same problem, I was back in the Disco. Check that the gears selected with the engine off... yes. Select first gear, foot holding the clutch in, start engine. A small clunk, a short lunge and hurrah! It worked. I let the clutch out and off I went. A quick run around the lanes, just to be sure, and, all was good.

A few other problems came to light as I was underneath, as I thought they might, but I'll do another post on those.

Thank you all once more for your invaluable help and advice.

Grunt
Reactions:
England

Post by Grunt » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:29 am

I love it when a plan comes together......

If you said I’ve a top tip for getting round the problem of the worse case of plastic clipness in the history of plastic clips. The pliers are artistically bent to allow the clip and push rod to be inserted through the clutch pushrod hole.
43916B21-F1E4-4671-93D8-EF49E34EB7C9.png
43916B21-F1E4-4671-93D8-EF49E34EB7C9.png (50.07 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
7B99DE41-CB25-4293-A478-10C168FCDB22.png
7B99DE41-CB25-4293-A478-10C168FCDB22.png (51.71 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
028547B8-CEC6-4314-A13C-562F3F8BBF80.png
028547B8-CEC6-4314-A13C-562F3F8BBF80.png (50.67 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

stiv
Reactions:
France

Post by stiv » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 pm

Excellent Grunt.

Simple, effective home engineering (as one would expect from a Master).