Discovery spotlights

If you're stuck with something, ask the question here..

Discovery spotlights

Postby Hiawatha » Wed May 13, 2015 7:49 am

My series two Discovery has the worst headlights of any car I have ever driven . My previous Jeep had better lights and that is saying something . They are so bad they pale in comparison to the lights I had on a Lada Niva I drove years ago :o
Sick of this I found some spotlights in the shed and bought a light bar today . Question is can I use the existing fog light switch and Landrover wiring to hook these up ? I really don't fancy drilling new holes in the firewall for a new loom .
The switch is the same as the top one in this stock image .
Landrover spotlight switch.jpeg
Landrover spotlight switch.jpeg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

The rest of the switches on mine are blanks . Any other advice is welcome .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Re: Discovery spotlights

Postby Grunt » Wed May 13, 2015 8:14 am

Quick answer from me is, sorry I haven't a clue.

But if you can't, and I'm sure you have already though of this.

An alternative could be to wire a relay into the main beam loom and have the spots fed from a separate fused wire straight from the battery, starter motor or what have you. It may be an inconvenience having them come on with the main beam all the time though.
Grunt

Postby White Wolf » Wed May 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Sorry but the answer is no. None of those "switches" pictures are actually real switches, they just send a signal to the body control computer. There are however two (what they call latching) proper switches which can be used; the best one to use is a Cruise Control switch, the other possibility is a rear wiper switch (the problem with the rear wiper switch is that it normally switches negative (earth) so if you do use one of these to switch positive you can't wire in the illumination). All these switches will fit into any of the four spaces on either side of the instrument cluster and the faces of all the switches are interchangeable but... the connections in the back of each switch is different.
I see you have a switch for factory driving lights, my wife's Disco has this set up and they are very unreliable. The best way to fit an extra switch for driving lights is to buy a Cruise Control switch with its matching plug (you might be able to get the whole lot from a wreckers) and change the face to the a driving light face (but to get the face you will have to fork out for the whole switch), when wired up the icon will light up with the dash lights and the light to tell you the switch is on will also light up.
I have run a seven core trailer wire for all my extra switches and a 6mm supply from the axillary battery through my fire wall using the existing holes. It is not easy but is possible. I'd send you a picture of the fire wall but it's dark, very wet and cold outside, sounds like... summer at Grunt's end of the world!
You could upgrade the lights and grill to the D2a front, these lights are much better on high beam over the early Disco 2.
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby White Wolf » Wed May 13, 2015 1:21 pm

I just realized the "stock picture" is not your dash, which makes more sense as our fuel button is on the right side or yours might be in the lower cluster with the hazard light switch.
Grunt's wiring suggestion is the easiest but will not be legal in Victoria as driving lights may only come on with the high beam but must be able to be isolated/switched off separately.
White Wolf

Postby Grunt » Wed May 13, 2015 9:50 pm

sounds like... summer at Grunt's end of the world!
Gone and spilt me milk all over me keyboard now.

but will not be legal in Victoria as driving lights may only come on with the high beam but must be able to be isolated/switched off separately.
Pretty sure that's the case here but people seem to get away with it!
Grunt

Postby White Wolf » Wed May 13, 2015 11:33 pm

Grunt wrote:
but will not be legal in Victoria as driving lights may only come on with the high beam but must be able to be isolated/switched off separately.
Pretty sure that's the case here but people seem to get away with it!

Its's only wrong it you get caught! :twisted:

Sorry about the keyboard :lol:
White Wolf

Postby Hiawatha » Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks for the replies :) . Sorry for the delay in answering , just back from the farm again after five days . Wet and miserable for the first part then bright and sunny albeit a little cool for the rest .
Looks like I might have to 'break the law' regarding the wiring , I am interested in the existing holes in the fire wall WW . Whereabouts are these ?
Hiawatha

Postby White Wolf » Tue May 19, 2015 12:49 pm

IMAG0339.jpg
IMAG0339.jpg (204.12 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

This is my switch set up. The top two switches are standard fitment on the Disco 2a, the lower two switches I got second hand.
The third switch from the top, as you can see is a rear wiper switch. This is a proper latching switch (Hiawatha, you will feel the difference in the switches, if you activate your rear wiper and the rear fog lamp switch) normally (for whatever reason) the rear wiper switch, switches negative so it can not be wired up to illuminate with the dash lights as the lights are LEDs (there is no illumination when the switch is on either but if I can't tell the driving lights are on something is wrong), you will also notice it is upside down as this switch is normally on the other side of the dash.
The forth switch is a cruse control switch with a fog light face on it, it lights up with the dash lights and has an orange light when activated/on.
IMAG0340.jpg
IMAG0340.jpg (66.26 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

An other option for extra switches is where the optional headlight leveling switch goes, it is possible to buy off the shelf switches that fit this space (the switch pictured is not on that fits without work).
disco firewall.jpg
disco firewall.jpg (79.38 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

Sorry this is not the clearest picture as there are too many wires and my duel battery isolator in the way but... beside the brake booster you will find a large rubber boot which feeds a large wiring loom into the cab, I made a small hole in this then squeezed my extra cabling in through the rubber. I have recollections of difficulty pulling the wires through and think I lubricated them with silicon so that once in place they would also seal. Pulling wires through the firewall, under the dash, past the steering column, in between the foot peddles, while kneeling on the ground, with your head upside down with a work light in your teeth, might.... be a challenge for someone with a sensitive back. But good luck.
I hope this helps shed some light on the subject, WW.
White Wolf

Postby Hiawatha » Tue May 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Many thanks for the very detailed and probably time consuming reply WW :) . I had noticed the difference in the switch operation and am impressed by the lateral thinking in adapting the latching type to this application .
The rubber boot on mine seems to be reinforced with a metal skirt of sorts , at least this is what it appeared to be at first glance . Your description of pulling the cable through in such a contorted position made me laugh , I know just how tall you are !
There is a secondary harness on the passenger side , looks a little more easily accessible , I may try that route or just wire them to the high beam as Grunt suggests , seems a shame not to use one of those alternative switch positions though . First stop is the discovery wrecker near home .
Hiawatha

Postby Hiawatha » Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 am

All sorted , I followed your example WW, not quite upside down, but yes it is a contortion trying to get wires through the main harness grommet , thank you for the trouble of posting the explanation :) . A small hiccup with a defective wiring harness from E bay but otherwise straightforward enough . No joy with a latching switch yet but one is sure to turn up at the wrecker soon .
Tried them last night , the difference in visibility is really noticeable .
Hiawatha

Next

Return to Land Rover Questions and Answers